Early settlers came to Clinton from New York state and named the village after their state governor, Dewitt Clinton. The site of the Clinton Inn was first settled by Alpheiud Kies, who built a log house. After several changes in ownership, Alonzo Clark, 1816-1911, built the present 3-story brick hotel. It officially opened its doors on Thanksgiving day in 1901. Originally the building featured 35 guest rooms, a ballroom, and a drummers room - a traveling salesman's place to display his wares. As indoor plumbing was introduced, the original 35 guest rooms were converted into apartments, then in the mid-1980s the second floor was converted back into hotel rooms, leaving four apartments on the third floor.
The Huffaker Family purchased The Clinton Inn in June of 2019. While the entire property was in quite a state of disrepair at the time of purchase, we are working diligently to bring the hotel back to life and make it a destination place to stay. We've made various improvements throughout, and now have three (3) rooms available to rent on a nightly basis. Three of these rooms are still somewhat dated, but clean and comfortable. We've done considerable work on the fourth one giving it a fresh new face. All rooms have new beds, mattresses, and linens. We're planning on remodeling the full hotel and having 14 rooms available in the near future.
Here are some fantastic things we offer to make your stay with us more comfortable.
- Our rooms are all clean and comfortable. We're a non-smoking hotel throughout and do not have any weird smells or odors.
- We've replaced all beds, mattresses, linens, pillows, and towels in all of our rooms, and hope this will make your stay pleasant and comfortable.
- All beds are King sized. We've eliminated all TWIN and FULL beds.
- We have Roku Smart TV's in all of the rooms. All TV's are connected to the WIFI and have digital streaming capabilities. We provide a Netflix account for your use, and you can access whatever other streaming services are available.
- We have free high speed WIFI available in all of the rooms.
- Our water pressure is awesome.
- The Clinton Coffeehouse is on the first floor by the lobby. (Currently only open Saturday and Sunday 9 am - 2 pm.) https://clintoncoffeehouse.com for more info.
- The Clinton Coffeehouse also has free WIFI and a lounge area to work and just relax.
- Our full-service restaurant is currently open for brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Check out our website www.theclintoninn.com for details.
- We're close to the Irish Hills, Michigan International Speedway, and the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. If you're planning on being anywhere in the areas of Adrian, Tecumseh, Clinton, Saline, Manchester, and the Irish Hills, The Clinton Inn is a great central location close to where you need to be.
- Distances to various locations: 12 Miles to Saline. 19 Miles to U of M Stadium in Ann Arbor. 15 Miles to Michigan International Speedway. 15 Miles to Adrian. 17 Miles to Chelsea. 48 Miles to Toledo, OH. 36 Miles from the Detroit Metro Airport (DTW).